Sunday, January 13, 2008

Tipping Point

Ever have one of those days where you know you ought to get stuff done, and you meant o get stuff done, but you keep putting it off? Not with the intent of not doing anything, mind you, just sort of taking care of other things first. Other things that are likely not as important, and certainly not as crucial. You think to yourself in the morning, or in the early afternoon that you'll have plenty of time and then... suddenly you're looking up at the clock and it's late afternoon, practically early evening. Now you have to start thinking about cooking dinner, and the evening's wearing on...

Somewhere in there is a tipping point, when you realize that all your carefully laid plans just aren't going to happen. Oh, sure, you'll still get something done, probably working later in the evening instead of watching television or something else fun, and you'll justify it by saying you did get it done. But really, shouldn't the work have come first? Of course it should have. So why didn't it?

I personally think procrastination is just a cop-out. It's a way of saying, yeah, I knew this was important but I put it off anyway. For no good reason, and now I'm just going to hope it doesn't come back to bite me. At some point you have to stop putting things off. Not sure how that's accomplished, mind you, and if I had a sure-fire cure I could patent it and become rich.

If I ever got around to it.

No comments: